Do you own a swimming pool or plan to install one in New York State? Looking to upgrade or renovate an existing pool? Whether you own or intend to install a swimming pool it is important to consider pool safety, especially if you have toddlers at home.
In New York State it is illegal to build or own a swimming pool without a barrier or fence. As a matter of fact ANY outdoor residential swimming pool is required to have a barrier that completely surrounds the pool and prevents unsupervised access. The barrier is required to prevent a small child from accessing the pool and must be less than 2 inches from the ground. Pool gates should be equipped with childproof, self-closing latches to prevent access year round.
NYS has a number of requirements associated with swimming pools installed on residential properties in addition to the legal permits required from your local government.
What Defines A Swimming Pool?
The term “Swimming Pool” means any structure intended for swimming, recreational bathing or wading containing water over 24 inches deep. This includes:
- In-ground pools
- Above-ground or on-ground pools
- Indoor pools
- Hot tubs
- Fixed-in-place wading pools
What Fencing Do I Need Around My Pool?
NYS Fencing Requirements for residential Swimming Pools:
- The fence is required to be at least 4 feet high.
- No opening is to exceed 4 inches
- The knob or handle controlling the latch shall be at least 40 inches above grade.
- The gate or door shall be locked and access to pool prevented when the pool is not supervised.
- The fence must completely surround the swimming pool, obstructing all access.
- Approved doors or gates must be self-closing with self-latching devices
But Which Pool Fencing?
Pool fencing is more than a safety feature, it’s architecture in your backyard. Make it your own with a variety of fence accents. Delicate accents can make your pool fencing a beautiful accessory to the appearance of your home. Whether you choose our Vinyl Fencing or Aluminum Fencing, you will find a sturdy product.